Musical life!

An exclusive interview with Idea Star Singer fame MK Thushar.

As is the case with all aspiring music students and noted musicians, music competitions at the school and the college were the main platforms for him to showcase his talent. Learning from the experience, day-by-day, he fine-tuned his skills. And he was rewarded. He bagged top prizes in several music contests held at the school-level as well as at the college-level in both classical and light music genres. But, with one reality show on music aired on a leading channel Asianet (This show made history that still rocks by its special knack for attracting the audience in TV programmes), changed his destiny. Thanks to music and it is musical life for him every second….

In a freewheeling chat, Idea Star Singer fame M K Thushar opens up his mind to K Govindan Nampoothiry on choosing music as profession, the success behind Idea Star Singer (ISS), future plans.

It’s music all the way

Music reigns here. With an elated face Thushar explained the reason behind it. “I was well focused on music since my childhood days. I started learning classical music at the age of seven and was fond of that type of music. Always I wanted to be in music and I want to be remembered as a musician, especially as a classical singer. Fortunately, I got an opportunity to learn music from eminent musicians.”

To devote time fully for music and to nurture it as profession, Thushar quit his job of software engineer.

The way to ISS

“Frankly speaking, I was not interested initially to go the reality show. It was the motivation and support from my wife, Renu that opened the way to ISS 2007. Since my response to participate in ISS was lukewarm, she prepared an application and sent it to Asianet. I didn’t expect a positive reply since I sent the application around the due date. However, by god’s grace; I got the call from the channel. And I was excited,” Thushar says.

And the rest is history. It was the turning point in Thushar’s life.

“Though there were several factors which I couldn’t agree in the ISS, I didn’t oppose. Because as an artiste I got recognition from there.

Singing success

After the resounding success in ISS, Tushar has been getting programmes galore. “In these days I am getting a lot of classical and non-classical programmes. In addition to this, I sing for devotional and romantic albums.”

Family – my strength

Thushar’s family consists of father K Muraleedharan, a retired deputy chief engineer from the KSEB, mother K Leela, retired high school teacher, sister Aparna and wife Renu. Sister and wife are employed in a private firm as software engineers in Technopark, Thiruvananthapuram.

“If I achieved anything in life, it is because of the support from my family. My father played a vital role in nurturing my music career. He took great interest in teaching me music and in getting the service of great musicians, as my teachers. My family members supported me when I resigned the job. I am really blessed to have them,” says an emotional Thushar.

Thushar was all praise for his wife Renu. “She is the primary reason for my gateway to the ISS. And he always supports me in my musical programmes.

About Gurus

Remembering his teachers, who guided and sharpened his music skills, Thushar said “My musical story is not complete without mentioning my gurus.”

He started learning music from the late Sri H. Ramanathan, principal, Palakkad Music College. Later he was the disciple of Sri Mavelikara Ayyappan Pillai Bhagavathar, Sri Bharanikavu Raghavan, Sri Kannamangalam Prabhakaran Pillai, Mavelikkara Gopinathan, Padmabhushan Nookkala Chinna Sathyanarayana (Hyderabad) and B Sasikumar who is a top-grade violinist with All India Radio, Thiruvananthapuram.

Currently Thushar practises under B Sasikumar’s guidance. “Sasikumar Sir’s tutelage has helped me a lot, especially, in shaping as a Carnatic music performer.”

Current projects

Thushar is now giving classical concerts and shows. Besides, he performs fusion music programmes with a band featuring Chenda exponent Mattannur Sankarankutty.

He, however, has not received any offer from the Malayalam cinema. “I’m waiting for a call from our cine world. Hope this dream will be fulfilled soon,” he said eagerly.

An album for which he rendered music would be released soon. It would be another feather in his cap.

Winding up, Thushar opens up his new ideas. “I want to propagate carnatic music, mould some good music students and do musical performances with great artistes.”

Yes, it’s very true, an ‘Idea’ can change your life….

No comments:

Powered by Blogger.